Sunday 7 June 2015

A Spring of Tulips in Holland

Ah, spring!  The season of beginnings. The earth resplendent in a robe of colors, and for those of us who lived through the darkest of winters, spring means a sigh of relief, a promise of light.  Spring holds with its arrival the promise of rebirth, of beautiful blooms,  of nature being at its flirtiest.

It was my first spring in Holland.  And like most first-timers, I marked it with a rite of passage.  In Japan and Korea, spring is a time for hanami, the annual flower viewing custom to enjoy the pristine and ethereal cherry blossoms.  In Holland,  the gray landscape is cracked open by a carpet of unfurled bulbs.

    Tulips: From bulbs to blooms



To honor our first spring in Holland,  a friend and I went to the Keukenhoff Gardens and walked around a field of tulip beauty.  Here,  let me share with you our  experience of this springtime ritual.



Tulips come in all colors:
    Yellow


   Orange and Maroon


    Red
    Black and White
    Black
    Purple and Light Pink

Keukenhof Garden is in Lisse, to go there, one can take buses from the Leiden or Haarlem bus station.  The catch is, it´s only open for two months each year, from mid-March to mid-May when the tulips are in bloom.  The garden covers about 32 acres so visiting Keukenhof is a whole day affair.

B, my workmate, who loves posing for the camera, became my willing model for my  Keukenhof vistas.








I hope you enjoyed the view!  Till next spring!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! I love tulips and seeing a beautiful sea of them makes my heart flutter! :) Thank you for sharing this post! (saw your blog link on girl talk)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jacqueline! Thanks! I also read your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tulips are gorgeous! They are quite popular in Czech Republic as well, but I don't think there is a way to see so many of them in one garden unless one really goes to Holland.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!